Writing OOH ad copy that sells
Published: January 7, 2020
You don’t have to be a published author to create ad copy that gets your audience engaged. When you focus on simplicity and emotion, you can easily connect with your audience.
Less is More
For out of home advertising, short, simple ad copy is always better. And even though simplicity is the key to great billboard ad copy, it needs to be memorable to succeed. Use a word instead of a phrase, and a phrase instead of a sentence. Keep it short, but eye-catching.
Some of the most impactful messages in advertising convey the following:
1) A solution to a consumer’s problem.
2) Humor. Some might say the funny bone is connected to memory. Humor allows the consumer to connect emotionally with the advertiser.
3) A question. Asking a question the audience can relate to will force them to mentally respond.
4) Urgency. If the consumer knows a great deal is for a limited time, they will respond.
You want your audience to understand the purpose of your ad. Singularity in your audience also needs to be considered, meaning having one audience and one goal. Ask yourself: Who am I reaching out to? Who am I not reaching out to? What is my main goal? What’s the most important benefit?
Call to Action
Your call-to-action will be somewhat different in out of home when compared to traditional print or online advertising. However, it’s just as important. Typically you want to drive customers to a location, to a website, or have them call you. Since your reader has limited time, and you have limited ad space on a billboard, consider leaving your website and phone number off the ad if they can simply google you to find your information.
Examples of Great Ad Copy
- De Beers: “A Diamond is Forever”
- Wendy's: “Where's the Beef?”
- Old Spice: “The Man Your Man Could Smell Like”
- Slack: “Make Work Better”
- Dr. Pepper “A Taste That’s One of a Kind”
• Visier: “Know code? Apply (now);”
Written By: Shane Hutton
To get the latest updates on out of home advertising, digital marketing and technology, follow us on:
Or sign up for our newsletter.